Manager, Risk Monitoring
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2045 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Capital Power is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Commodity Risk team in the Market Assessment & Forecasting department.
Under the direction of the Director, Forecasting & Analytics the Manager, Risk Monitoring is accountable for carrying out the risk monitoring function within the Commodity Risk Management Program. This includes achieving a thorough understanding of the commodity activities that Capital Power engages in and the market fundamentals; promoting a risk awareness culture by monitoring Capital Power activities to ensure compliance with the Commodity Risk Policies and Procedures; and participating in Continuous Improvement projects.
You will contribute to our team by
- Providing input to the Monitoring function by ensuring data integrity of the Energy Trading Risk Management System (ETRM) and maintain on-going relationship with stakeholders (Front, Middle, Back Office).
- Proactively handling the business and interpersonal issues associated with communicating and reducing discrepancies and exceptions.
- Being aware of developments in the power, natural gas, and environmental market (news events, strategies, market conditions, market structure, etc.).
- Conducting confirmation process to ensure compliance to Policies, standards, C-SOX requirements, and mitigation of operational risks.
- Monitoring, investigating, preparing, completing, and distributing non-compliance exception reports.
- Validating, verifying, and approving forward price curves.
- Monitoring signing authorities on each transaction.
- Monitoring the impact of new and revised transactions.
- Monitoring and remaining informed of asset-level optimization and trade strategies.
- Reviewing commodity contracts prior to their execution to ensure Policy compliance and to identify potential exposures and advancing for remediation when warranted.
- Demonstrating a good understanding of Capital Power’s business activities and continuously improving upon existing processes and procedures with changing market environments and new market /product opportunities that Capital Power engages in.
- Enabling the Middle Office to scale its processes and procedures so that long term goals and objectives can be achieved efficiently.
- Participating in Continuous Improvement and New Initiative projects, assessing market risks and enabling Front Office business initiatives.
- Providing qualitative analysis and due diligence on business development projects with a focus on forward curves, pricing, and commodity risk exposures.
- Ensuring encouraging and collaborative relationships with various internal and external stakeholders are built and maintained.
- Coaching and developing team members, providing input into performance and development needs; participate in interviews within the recruitment process for new hires.
What you will bring to the role
- Post-secondary education related to auditing, business, economics, finance, and/or risk management.
- Related experience or education may be considered as an equivalency.
- Professional designation (e.g., PRM, FRM, ERP, CFA) and/or postgraduate degree in a related field an asset.
- 5+ years of related experience within risk management, financial or commodity trading.
- Commodity and financial trading business and products.
- North American power, generation fuel and environmental markets.
- Power generation assets and contracts.
- Industry standard and best practice methods for valuing and assessing market risks for commodity exposures and derivatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem solving ability and desire to get to the root cause of a problem.
- Strong leadership, management, coaching and organizational skills.
- Intermediate level SQL, MSBI, ETRM system, MS Excel an asset.
- Front office trading experience is an asset.
- Ability to exercise influence strategies and provide sound recommendations.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgement; escalate issues and manage conflict effectively as and when required.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
This position is based in Edmonton or Calgary.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805389.