Data Science Intern
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
From Alberta to Alabama, we’re innovating power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We believe in empowering our people and supporting them with holistic benefits and programs so they can thrive in all aspects of life. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe, inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
Capital Power has a great Internship opportunity intended to provide valuable hands on-experience to develop critical skills needed for your future career. To further our commitment to this initiative, we have partnered with the STEM Careers Coalition (STEM Careers Coalition | Connecting STEM from K to Careers) to help prepare the next generation of solution seekers. In addition, we are a founding partner of the Prosperity Project (canadianprosperityproject.ca) and co-presenter of their Rosie the Riveter-Inspired (canadianprosperityproject.ca) initiative to empower women to join, stay in workplace and be equal contributors to Canada’s economy.
One Temporary Up To 12 Months (with a possibility of extension for up to 12 months) Full Time Position Working in our Calgary office.
We are seeking an innovative and committed Data Science Intern to join our Commercial Services and IS Business Intelligence and Advanced Analytics teams.
The intent of this program is to fast-track your breadth within Commercial Services and IS teams over an approximate one-to-two-year rotational period. You will experience different roles in both areas during your internship, giving you the opportunity to build your network for future career opportunities.
You will be accountable for supporting a suite of data engineering tools and services. The scope of work will focus on deploying data pipelines and machine learning engineering tasks. There may also be opportunities for developing, enhancing and maintaining data solutions and PowerBI reports. The successful candidate is self-directed with an ability to work in a collaborative environment.
During the internship, you will rotate through positions in areas such as:
- Learn and understand the fundamentals of the North American power and gas markets, including commodities trading.
- Work with other team members to identify opportunities, discover patterns in data and develop data-driven models.
- Create automated reports or dashboards that clearly communicate opportunities, insights and results.
- Plan, develop and maintain data pipelines from a variety of different sources, while ensuring data quality and integrity.
- Develop descriptive analysis, build data-driven analytic models and machine learning models to tackle a wide arrange of problems.
IS Business Intelligence and Advanced Analytics
- Learn and work with our modern data platform architecture that includes Azure, Snowflake, PowerBI and Databricks
- Deploy actionable machine learning models to production and monitor their performance.
- Contribute to our data management program including our enterprise data cataloging solution.
- Work closely with our internal customers to understand their business and provide value-add analytical solutions.
- Partner with subject matter experts thought the organization to create rich and accessible data models, visualizations and analytics.
What you will bring to the role
- Completed Degree in Machine Learning, Data Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- Completed Master’s and/or Doctoral degree will be preferred.
- Preference will given to candidates having experience in an operational, commercial, engineering, business development, financial, or analytical role.
- Knowledge in or experience with power markets, power generation, power marketing, regulatory, commodities and energy transmission/transportation will be considered assets.
- Attention to detail.
- Takes initiative and can effectively deal with ambiguity.
- Ability to prioritize and execute dynamic work.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage and nurture relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Active listener.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position
- Some evening and weekend work is required in this position.
- May require occasional travel.
Hours of Work: 8 hours per day, 40.0 hours per week
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We’re committed to providing a meaningful work experience that challenges you to be your best at every stage of your career with us. You will be empowered to take on opportunities you never thought you would.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805457.