Analyst, Risk Monitoring
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Temporary (Up to 24 Months) Full Time or Part Time Position.
Capital Power is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Commodity Risk team in the Market Assessment & Forecasting department.
Under the direction of the Senior Advisor, Risk Monitoring the Analyst, Risk Monitoring is accountable for supporting the risk monitoring function within the Commodity Risk Management Program. This includes monitoring Capital Power activities to ensure compliance with the Commodity Risk Policies and Procedures, conducting the confirmation process, and supporting the team’s project work with validation and research tasks.
You will contribute to our team by
- Ensuring data integrity of the Energy Trading Risk Management System (ETRM) and maintain on-going relationship with stakeholders (Front, Middle, Back Office).
- Conducting confirmation process to ensure compliance to Policies, standards, C-SOX requirements, and mitigation of operational risks.
- Assisting with the monitoring, investigating, preparing, completing, and distributing of non-compliance exception reports.
- Validating, verifying, and approving forward price curves.
- Monitoring signing authorities on each transaction.
- Monitoring the impact of new and revised transactions.
- Assisting with reviewing commodity contracts prior to their execution to ensure Policy compliance and to identify potential exposures and advancing for remediation when warranted.
- Ensuring encouraging and collaborative relationships with various internal and external stakeholders are built and maintained.
- Support projects with data and research tasks.
What you will bring to the role
- Post-secondary education related to auditing, business, economics, finance, and/or risk management; related experience or education may be considered as an equivalency.
- Professional designation (e.g., PRM, FRM, ERP, CFA) in a related field an asset.
- 1+ years of related experience within risk management, financial or commodity trading.
- Commodity and financial trading business and products.
- Power generation assets and contracts.
- North American power, generation fuel and environmental markets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate level SQL, MSBI, ETRM system, MS Excel an asset.
- Ability to exercise sound professional judgement; escalate issues and manage conflict effectively as and when required.
- Ability to provide sound recommendations.
- Problem solving ability and desire to get to the root cause of a problem.
Location: Edmonton, AB
To be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805320.