A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is driven to power a sustainable future for people and planet. This purpose guides our ambitions, focus, and actions as we transform our energy system to power a net zero future. We’re a growth-oriented North American energy transition company headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. We deliver innovative electricity solutions with a vision to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
Our people are at the core of our journey to get to net zero by 2045 and are transforming the future of power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe and inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Are you interested in working with an organization that is focused on sustainable growth, committed to a low carbon future and that believes in innovation?
Capital Power is currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated individual to join our Thermal Operations team as the Plant Manager of our East Windsor Cogeneration Centre.
The Plant Manager is responsible for directing all Operations and Maintenance (O&M) activities at the plant and for coordinating all externally supplied functions for risk management, engineering, commercial, health and safety, environment, finance, human relations, regulatory compliance, and stakeholder relations. Furthermore, this role assures that an adequate supply of personnel, tools, equipment, and spare parts are always available to provide for the safe and efficient operation of the plant and that all externally supplied services are managed to meet plant and corporate priorities.
You will contribute to our team by
- Ensuring that the plant is operated in compliance with applicable laws, safety, environmental, and power generating policies and procedures.
- Delivering the overall business results of the facility including profitability, safety, and environmental performance, within the constraints of the power purchase agreement and approved O&M budgets,
- Developing, implementing and directing the plant’s Safety, Operations, Maintenance, Administrative, Training, Chemistry and Environmental QA/QC programs to assure the safe, efficient, and reliable operation of the plant in accordance company policy and procedures.
- Optimizing plant thermal efficiency while operating within regulated emissions limits.
- Ensuring the facility is properly prepared for managing emergent situations and act in the role of Emergency Operations Centre Director when required.
- Providing the facility’s operating and budgetary inputs into the corporate long-term plan and initiating the facility’s capital spending program.
- Deciding how to cost effectively organize, manage and perform the work at the facility within the context of industry best practices and authoritatively recommending staffing adjustments.
- Providing authoritative recommendations in department strategic decisions/plan; providing input into organizational strategy; developing, implementing and updating site business plan; and making long-term plan relevant to site.
- Identifying and recommending areas of improvement for corporate work processes and systems.
- Approving the implementation of facility level work processes and systems and ensuring they are properly managed and implemented.
- Managing the implementation of, and reporting on adherence, risks, and opportunities relating to commercial agreements affecting the site.
- Ensuring the accurate investigation of loss incidents including performance of root cause analysis where required.
- Developing a culture of operational excellence at the facility including employee engagement.
- Ensuring all applicable cross functional groups in the company are properly involved in facility matters affecting their area of responsibility.
- Planning and implementation of facility staff training and development and succession planning.
- Ensuring positive human/labour relations are maintained on site, including accurate administration of the Collective Agreement.
What you will bring to the role
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, or Finance with power related discipline, or 2nd class Power Engineer certification or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Education equivalency may be considered.
- Operations, Maintenance, or Plant Manager or equivalent experience.
- Strong collaboration, communications (written and verbal), leadership, and motivational skills.
- Demonstrated Project Management experience.
- Strong financial experience, including facility cost and variance analysis and project management cost control.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, and Outlook.
- Experienced with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), specifically with Maximo is preferred.
- Experience with safety, environmental, and reliability compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated experience as a change agent.
- Plant based position, with moderate travel required.
- Moderate walking (~2 km a day) around the plant; plus the ability observe/inspect plant equipment.
As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of a pre-employment drug & alcohol test is required.
Clearance of a pre-employment medical will also be required.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordable employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805729.