Site Manager – Whitla Wind Farm
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2045 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
The successful candidate must have the ability to work from a location that has easy access to our Whitla Wind facility. Locations with easy access to these facilities include, but not limited to, Bow Island, AB, Medicine Hat, AB and Taber, AB. Applicants from other locations will be considered.
We are currently seeking a self-motivated individual to manage the largest wind facility in Alberta and join our growing Renewables Operations team.
The Site Manager will be accountable for supporting the planning, coordination, and management of operations at the Whitla wind farm for Capital Power. This includes profit and loss responsibility for the site, extensive management and relationship building with contractors, meeting operational targets such as TRIF and Availability, problem solving in forced outage situations, engagement with the community and landowners, execution of all work on site and overall accountability for the safe, reliable, and economic performance of the site using cost effective solutions. You will be reporting directly to the Director of Renewables.
Join us in investing in climate change solutions – beyond us and our industry.
You will contribute to our team by
- Management and coordination of day-to-day wind operations.
- Responsible for safety performance of all on site as well as profit, loss and O&M spending budgets, timely completion of all preventative maintenance activities and for urgent resolution of forced outages.
- Extensive management and oversight of subcontractors and coordination of subcontractor activities with other departments.
- Creating a positive working environment by assisting with team morale and employee relations.
- Implementing, managing, updating, and maintaining activities to site safety programs and work practices.
- Analyzing and reporting against performance metrics and recommendations for operational optimization.
- Preparing regular progress, performance, and expenditures reports, in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensuring compliance with and optimization of facility contractual obligations.
- Maintaining and supporting all regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Managing Maximo (CMMS) system as the site expert.
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing Renewable operation’s processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensure mitigation of risks.
- Ensuring optimal deliverables through effective cross-functional communication and effort.
- Identifying the necessary budget requirements for the provision of training Operations Department and staffing needs.
- Preparing and communicating monthly budget variance and performance reports and liaising with finance, accounting and commercial on accounting, financial and commercial optimization matters.
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics. Verifying satisfactory compliance with plant operating requirements.
- Providing leadership and direction for site operations and contractors. Examples include, financial, meeting customer expectations, operational effectiveness and efficiency (e.g. productivity, quality, reliability, on-time delivery of products), and employee satisfaction.
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing stratum appropriate (3 – 12 month) business plan within the context of Senior Manager Business plan.
- Working in a manner that is following safety practices, policies, and procedures of the organization.
- Informing Senior manager of circumstances such as, outputs will not be achieved on time with current resources and to agreed standards of quantity and quality and if the employee has unutilized resources (e.g., time, financial etc.).
- Developing business cases for projects, project plans and with purchase requisitions, orders, and invoices.
- Providing input to the Renewables plans, strategy, and directions.
- Ensuring ongoing effective positioning and appropriate relationships between Renewables and other Manager positions in Senior Manager Function and in the rest of the organization.
- Maintain First Nations and other stakeholder communications, annual meetings, community benefit and/or royalty payments.
- Monitoring and maintaining operating licenses and permits.
- Maintaining relationships with compliance agencies, other accrediting agencies, and regulatory bodies.
What you will bring to the role
- Post-secondary Degree specializing Engineering, Certified Engineering Technologist or Business.
- Related trade skills and operations experience may also be considered.
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years of experience in leading operations and maintenance for preferably with background in the electrical discipline or background in substation, power plant or wind farm operations. Trades with the relevant experience may also considered.
- Knowledge and experience in power systems, electrical equipment specification, HV systems and substation operation and maintenance preferred.
- Outstanding ability to develop trusting long-term working relationships with main on-site turbine maintenance contractor while being able to watch out for Capital Powers interests at the same time.
- Good project planning and execution skills.
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to make decisions under pressure without perfect information.
Excellent, succinct, and clear communicator.
- Ability to build strong relationships with team members and work in a collaborative and consultative manner with all levels of employee and corporate support groups.
- Process oriented with excellent communication, both written and oral.
- Understanding of power plant operations and regulations related to power plant operation in Alberta beneficial.
- Working knowledge of OH&S requirements.
- Background in field operations and wind industry experience is beneficial.
- Strong computer skills, particularly in Excel, Power Point, and in Maintenance management systems.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and implement resolution.
- Strong leadership, management, coaching and organizational skills.
- Able to regularly work independently.
- Minimal travel required away from site.
- Normal Business hours are On-site 5 days a week, Monday through Friday. Site is located 30 kms south of Bow Island.
- After hours work required, on an as needed basis to achieve business objectives.
As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of a pre-employment drug & alcohol test is required.
Clearance of a pre-employment medical will also be required.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805375.