A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Would you thrive in an environment where learning development and training opportunities are core to the company culture? Capital Power is people focused with programs to support your development, well-being, and work-life balance.
This role is more than just daily operations. You will also have the opportunity to make contributions to exciting and innovative projects, some of which you identify yourself.
Reporting to the Manager, Server Operations, the Server Specialist works amongst a collaborative team accountable for the performance and maintenance of Capital Power’s server and cloud infrastructure.
You will contribute to our team by
- Providing tier 2 operational support, problem resolution and service requests for servers (Windows / Linux / VMware), including related Active Directory assignments, while ensuring service levels are achieved.
- Participating in Capital and Operational projects as a Technical Subject Matter Expert from inception through to implementation.
- Providing technical support and updating problem tickets accordingly.
- Maintaining operational availability of infrastructure support applications.
- Implementing preventative procedures by reviewing alerts and system logs then initiating corrective measures. These procedures include responding to security breaches.
- Writing knowledge base documents, server work around procedures, and updating the system records for new installs, updates, and contact information.
- Identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving a wide range of technical related problems.
- Actively coordinate with team members and other service support groups to effectively resolve server problems in a timely manner. Escalate problems as needed.
- Ensuring optimal deliverables through effective cross-functional accountability and authority practices (when relevant) within Manager’s context and prescribed limits.
- Developing and maintaining positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of work group, interacting in a friendly, open, honest, and accepting manner.
- Protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration, or unauthorized deletion.
- Being a part of an on-call rotation team supporting 24×7 physical & virtual server environment.
What you will bring to the role
- Diploma or degree in information systems. Related experience or education may be considered as an equivalency.
- 5+ years supporting Servers and related infrastructure in cloud and on-premise environments.
- MCSA/MCSE certification are an asset.
- Red Hat and/or other Linux certifications are an asset.
- Experience with MS Azure infrastructure services.
- Experience with VMware and HyperV for both Server and Desktop Virtualization.
- Experience with design and implementation of disaster recovery with cloud infrastructure.
- Experience migrating on-prem infrastructure to a cloud Hybrid DR environment.
- Experience with various scripting languages with a focus on automation of routine tasks.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server ( 2016 / 2019/ 2022).
- Experience administrating various Red Hat and Ubuntu based Linux Distributions.
- Familiarity with storage and network technologies.
- Experience administrating Office 365 applications like Teams and Exchange Online.
- Knowledge of data centers and associated server support.
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring applications.
- Experience with automation tools like Azure Automation or Ansible.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805236.