Senior Electrical Engineer
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
We at Capital Power Corporation are currently seeking an experienced individual to join our mighty Engineering team.
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you will be part of dynamic group which provides electrical engineering, design and technical guidance in a sound, competent, and technically professional manner across the fleet. Reporting to the Manager, Electrical, Instrumentation and Controls Engineering, you will be involved with managing and executing electrical projects, including the development, budgeting, detailed design, and commissioning of plant projects.
You will contribute to our team by
- Primarily focusing on execution of cradle-to-grave sustaining capital electrical projects across the Capital Power thermal and renewables fleet, such as AVR, DVAR, transformer, protection, switchgear, and MCC upgrades.
- Providing electrical engineering services for multidiscipline plant, sustaining capital, and major projects.
- Completing detailed design documentation that includes updating electrical system drawings (i.e. single-lines, schematics, loop diagrams, layouts, wiring drawings, cable schedules, termination lists, etc.).
- Preparing project documentation that includes Project Justification Sheets, Work Packages and Commissioning documents.
- Preparing, negotiating and providing technical support to electrical system contracts.
- Executing and managing projects to approved scope, budget and schedule.
- Leading commissioning efforts.
- Providing support to Operations on electrical system and operational issues.
- Supporting major electrical maintenance issues and troubleshooting efforts.
- Providing interpretation of codes, regulations, statutes and standards associated with electrical engineering.
- Reviewing, understanding, applying, and developing internal engineering guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Participating in the Peer Review process to ensure the responsible practice of engineering at Capital Power, in compliance with the Professional Practice Management Plan.
- Responding to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Ensuring the provision of timely and accurate project status and cost information to Project Sponsors and Senior Managers.
- Providing leadership, mentoring and guidance to junior staff including students and EITs.
- Acting continually to improve technical and management skills through formal and informal training opportunities.
What you will bring to the role
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Registered Professional Engineer or Professional Licensee in Alberta.
- Ability to be registered as a Professional Engineer in other Canadian jurisdictions.
- 10+ years of engineering experience in Power Generation or Heavy Industry.
- Experience with electrical system upgrades, installation and commissioning.
- Familiarity with AESO and NERC regulations and Thermal and renewable generation equipment would be an asset.
- Project Management skills.
- Strong communications skills (both written and spoken).
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
- Working collaboratively and building strong relationships with others.
- Ability to analyze complex technical problems and recommend timely decisions.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position.
- Periodic travel to generation facilities for shutdown and project support as required.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of a pre-employment drug & alcohol test is required.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805237.