Senior Advisor, Corporate Strategy
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
From Alberta to Alabama, we’re innovating power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We believe in empowering our people and supporting them with holistic benefits and programs so they can thrive in all aspects of life. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe, inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent, Full-Time Position.
Are you inspired by being a part of an integral team that plays a key role in our growth and net zero ambitions?
We are seeking a collaborative and results-oriented individual to join our Corporate Strategy and Long-Term Planning team in the Strategy, Planning & Sustainability department. You will contribute your knowledge, skills, and expertise to inform the decisions and actions we take today that are transforming our company to meet the increasing demand for clean energy in the transition to a low-carbon future.
As the Senior Advisor, Corporate Strategy, you are accountable for providing specialist advice and support in the development, communication, integration and performance of corporate strategy and long-term plan. If you are passionate about meeting the growing demand for clean energy, thrive working cross-functionally, and your spark is ignited by an ever-evolving environment, this role is the right opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Strategy, you will also be responsible for supporting long-term financial planning, benchmarking performance, and strategic initiatives.
You will contribute to our team by
- Providing strategic insights and advice into the annual development of a 10-year Strategy and Long-Term Plan (LTP) and identifying and monitoring risks and opportunities associated with industry/market and macro-economic trends that may impact achieving business objectives.
- Supporting alignment to and integration of foundational principles governing long-term planning and Capital Power’s growth and investment decisions.
- Assisting in the build-up, updating, analysis and reporting of various LTP asset models.
- Identifying process and system improvements and supporting optimization of long-term planning.
- Conducting timely research, staying current with energy transition trends and technologies, monitoring evolving policy and regulatory issues, and conducting competitor benchmarking analysis.
- Delivering critical business insights by gathering and interpreting data and providing advice and solutions that drive key business decisions.
- Identifying, communicating and managing emerging risks and opportunities to Capital Power’s Strategy and Long-Term Plan, informing Management of trends and new developments, and making solution-driven recommendations, as appropriate.
- Preparing and adapting technical and financial information, presentations, briefing notes, and memoranda appropriate for different audiences and purposes.
- Providing support to the Director, Corporate Strategy on Strategy communication, integration, implementation, and reporting activities to embed the Strategy in organizational decision making at all levels.
- Encouraging and supporting internal groups in development and execution of business objectives, execution tactics, and success factors into business planning processes.
What you will bring to the role
- Undergraduate university degree in business, finance, economics, environment, engineering, or a related field.
- Postgraduate studies or master’s degree or accounting designation an asset.
- 5-9 years relevant industry experience
- Experience in strategy, planning, analysis, and modelling
- Experience in Project Management and process improvement
- Experience in sustainability or corporate governance an asset
- Understanding of North American power markets and energy system dynamics
- Enhanced knowledge of energy industry trends, emerging technologies, climate policy, and financial analysis
- Establishes clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results.
- Exercises strategic critical thinking, problem solving, sound professional judgement and risk-based decision making.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and/or project manage teams and execute special projects.
- Delivers concise, persuasive, and effective writing and oral communication.
- Conducts timely research and translates data into information and solutions-based advice.
- Working understanding of financial metrics, and modelling.
- Accomplished in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, Word and SharePoint, Power BI, and Oracle.
- Adaptive and resilient to changing circumstances, ambiguity, and uncertainty.
- Builds and maintains supportive and collaborative relationships with various internal stakeholders.
- Serves as a role model for exhibiting diplomacy and tact.
- Accepts and embraces alternative perspectives, ideas and approaches.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position with some travel and project-based requirements.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordable employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805668.