Manager, US Taxation
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is driven to power a sustainable future for people and planet. This purpose guides our ambitions, focus, and actions as we transform our energy system to power a net zero future. We’re a growth-oriented North American energy transition company headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. We deliver innovative electricity solutions with a vision to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
Our people are at the core of our journey to get to net zero by 2045 and are transforming the future of power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe and inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Taxation team!
Reporting to the Senior Manager Taxation (USA), as the Manager, US Taxation, you will handle the preparation and review of tax compliance, provisions, payments, tax authority audits and research; and assist with the planning, analysis, and implementation of business development opportunities and other tax planning and risk mitigation strategies.
You will contribute to our team by
- Preparing and reviewing complex US tax compliance, provisions, and tax note disclosures for assigned legal entities.
- Handling overall compliance with tax deadlines, installments, payments, elections, etc.
- Preparing and reviewing research on tax issues and provides well supported conclusions.
- Being proactive on issue identification, analysis and provides recommendations.
- Assisting with and completing tax reorganizations and related research.
- Assisting with and handling taxation audits where necessary.
- Assisting with and overseeing intercompany transactions, management fees, etc.
- Assisting with the analysis of business development opportunities for tax implications.
- Handling non-routine and complex tasks without issues by providing recommendations to the Senior Manager Taxation and/or to the VP Taxation.
- Being fully engaged in tax technical work and demonstrating ability to exercise judgement in completing tasks.
- Helping coordinate the functionality of tax compliance and reporting and looking for continuous improvement to the design and maintenance of our systems.
- Recommending and implementing changes.
- Performing work independently in accordance with clearly established expectations.
- Maintaining and developing relationships within the Taxation group and with other groups to obtain information required to complete work and providing recommendations outside of the Taxation group.
- Completing professional CPE requirements to maintain knowledge within expertise area.
- Coaching direct reports and other taxation staff.
- Providing input into performance reviews and development needs of direct reports and other taxation staff.
What you will bring to the role
- Degree or Diploma in business, finance, or accounting.
- Professional Accounting Designation.
- Graduate degree in Tax or Law or Completion of the In-Depth Tax Program would be an asset.
- 5+ years tax experience in a professional service or industry tax position and 5+ years accounting experience.
- 5+ years management experience with respect to managing work, processes, staff, etc.
- Effective business partner providing tax advice necessary to make reliable and timely business decisions.
- Interpretive, analytical skills required to identify favourable tenable positions in conjunction with related risks and defend positions taken.
- Engage other areas of expertise to work as an effective team and resolve issues.
- Ability to explain concepts to a variety of audiences.
- Exercises influential strategies as a leader to influence decision making.
- Coaching and providing timely feedback to team members and direct reports and appropriately delegating responsibility.
- Fully engaged in tax technical work and making recommendations for change as necessary.
- Proactive business partner and leader in Finance and cross-functional areas.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordable employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805789.