Financial Manager, Trading and Consolidation
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is driven to power a sustainable future for people and planet. This purpose guides our ambitions, focus, and actions as we transform our energy system to power a net zero future. We’re a growth-oriented North American energy transition company headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. We deliver innovative electricity solutions with a vision to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
Our people are at the core of our journey to get to net zero by 2045 and are transforming the future of power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe and inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
We are currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Financial Planning team!
The Financial Planning group manages our financial forecasting activities, coordinates budget & forecast processes across the organization, and consolidates forward-looking financial information for the consideration of our executive and board.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Financial Planning, as the Financial Manager – Trading and Consolidation, you will work with internal stakeholders to provide insights into the financial and operational trends for our commodity trading desks. You will have proficient financial knowledge in all our trading activities, which include power, gas & environmental products, trading as well as the optimization of our power generation assets. You will also assist the Senior Manager, Financial Planning with the presentation of consolidated financial results as required.
This is an exciting role involving a combination of financial forecasting, analysis and reporting of results, and an array of ad-hoc analyses, all of which drive results for some of our largest business areas!
You will contribute to our team by
- Demonstrating a strong understanding of the assigned trading portfolios and providing beneficial advice and commentary for the portfolios.
- Leading the development of the long-term plan, annual budget, and quarterly forecast processes for our trading portfolios, in collaboration with internal stakeholders.
- Analyzing and reporting on monthly, quarterly, and annual variances for our trading activities and portfolios with a focus on the business and key drivers/trends.
- Delivering responses to analytical requests and/or data to our trading groups.
- Maintaining strong collaborative relationships with various internal stakeholders to understand, interpret, and develop business analysis that will improve overall financial results.
- Managing the process, timelines, expectations, and flow of information between the Financial
- Planning team, our trading teams, and other finance groups.
- Ensuring procedures are well-developed and established internal controls are operating effectively, and that all analysis reflects all key trends, assumptions, and drivers.
- Recommending and implementing improvements to processes, reporting, etc. to drive efficiencies.
What you will bring to the role
- Post-secondary degree in finance, accounting, or a related field.
- Professional accounting designation.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting and financial analysis experience.
- Working knowledge of the power generation business and/or commodities trading.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), including the ability to work effectively with non-financial individuals.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to foster positive internal stakeholder relationships.
Experience with any of the following would be considered a strong asset:
- Oracle or another enterprise-grade ERP
- Oracle Hyperion Planning, Oracle Cloud Enterprise Performance Management, or equivalent financial planning systems
- Commodity trading systems such as Allegro
- Microsoft Power BI
- Hybrid office/work-from-home position.
- Some evening and weekend work is required in this position but identified most often in advance.
- Some limited travel to other Capital Power offices may be required.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordable employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805730.