A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is driven to power a sustainable future for people and planet. This purpose guides our ambitions, focus, and actions as we transform our energy system to power a net zero future. We’re a growth-oriented North American energy transition company headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. We deliver innovative electricity solutions with a vision to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
Our people are at the core of our journey to get to net zero by 2045 and are transforming the future of power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe and inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
We are currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Merchant Reporting team!
Reporting to the Manager, Merchant Reporting, as a Financial Analyst, you are accountable for accounting, settlement and reporting requirements pertaining to merchant trading activities, which can include, but may not be limited to; power, environmental, natural gas, and other trading related activities along with any hedging requirements pertaining to such, and other duties as assigned.
You will contribute to our team by
- Working with the Allegro energy trading and risk management system and Oracle to execute on commodity transacting.
- Completing accounting, analysis, and settlement of trading activities, including hedging requirements to meet monthly reporting deadlines.
- Assisting with deliverables associated with quarter-end interim reviews and year-end audits.
- Reviewing contracts with new trading counterparties to ensure payments and invoicing coincide with contracts.
- Maintaining knowledge of trading activities occurring within the Commodity Portfolio Management group, and how to properly record, accrue, analyze, and settle transactions and results.
- Maintaining updated documentation around the accounting, reporting, and settlement processes, ensuring adherence to CSOX and other controls, which may include process around hedge accounting.
- Ensuring an understanding of the accounting, reporting and settlement processes within the team and suggesting process improvements or identifying areas for improvement.
- Maintaining and completing a detailed checklist for monthly/quarterly/year-end requirements.
- Supporting any change initiatives impacting by incorporating changes into day-to-day processes.
- Maintaining a strong working rapport with both internal and external parties, including responding to inquiries in a timely, professional, and accurate basis.
- Working with our internal business partners to support their business needs, which may include but are not limited to Commodity Portfolio Management, Tax, Financial Reporting, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable teams.
- Participating in ad hoc analysis projects as required.
- Exhibiting professionalism in the workplace and having a willingness to participate in cross training within the overall Merchant Reporting team.
- Adhering to HSE procedures/rules and standards.
What you will bring to the role
- Degree/diploma in accounting or related field.
- CPA or working towards a professional accounting designation.
- Educational equivalency may be considered.
- 4-6 years of accounting experience.
- Knowledge of commodity trading is an asset.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of applications, Excel in particular.
- Previous experience with Oracle or trade settlement applications (e.g., Allegro) are considered assets.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
- Overtime hours required during peak periods (Quarter End/Year End), including weekends based on timing of deadlines.
Hours of Work: 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week
Union: CSU 52 (T2)
To be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordable employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805801.