A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2045 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Commercial Management team!
Executing on operational excellence and low-carbon strategies at Genesee is an integral part of Capital Power’s corporate strategy to achieve net zero by 2050. We are looking for a Commercial Manager- Genesee to help spearhead commercial initiatives at Genesee. The role is accountable for providing commercial expertise and leading cross-functional commercial initiatives to support the strategic management of Capital Power’s Genesee assets in Alberta, including the Genesee Mine. The Commercial Manager – Genesee analyzes asset performance to develop and implement risk management strategies and mitigating plans to preserve, enhance and optimize the value at Genesee, all of which directly contribute to Capital Power’s bottom line. This includes, delivering on value-adds for the asset, delivering presentations to various levels of management and engaging in the corporate budget and long-term planning processes.
You will contribute to our team by
- Through innovation, leading and managing to completion, commercial initiatives and opportunities focused on creating or preserving asset value; directly contributing to corporate EBITDA.
- Facilitating communication between Facility Operations and Wholesale Energy for the purpose of optimizing plant availability and economic performance.
- Leading and/or participating in the negotiation of off-take agreements, joint venture agreements, lease agreements, project permits, financing documents and other contractual arrangements.
- Delivery of various presentations to all levels of Management including Capital Power’s Board of Directors for key short- and long-term commercial decisions.
- Facilitating communication between Operations and Commodities for the purpose of optimizing plant availability and economic performance.
- Collaborating and leading financial optimization of activities relating to the wind down of the Genesee Mine.
- Leading annual budget process for the portfolio of assets.
- Collaborating with Finance on monthly reporting and variance to budget.
- Supporting regulatory proceedings and advocacy for electric and carbon markets in Alberta.
- Identifying and assessing the external environment for trends, threats or opportunities relating to the assets.
- Ensuring compliance with commercial agreements and contractual obligations based on a strong foundational knowledge of relevant commercial contracts, environments, and counterparties.
- Represent Capital Power at various industry and stakeholder meetings.
What you will bring to the role
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Economics, Engineering, or equivalent discipline.
- Master’s degree or working towards a master’s degree is an asset.
- Related professional designations are considered assets.
- 7+ years of experience in an operational, commercial, engineering, business development or financial role; preferably in the deregulated electricity or other related industry.
- Broad knowledge and comprehension of the Alberta Power Market
- Background in asset management, trading, or operations or financial analysis and risk management.
- Ambitious drive for success; ability to work collaboratively efficiently and effectively to innovate and challenge the status quo.
- Strong financial analysis capabilities to analyze and review complex financial and operational information in a timely manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; tailored to various audiences.
- Familiarity with deregulated power markets, electricity generating plants or similar plant operations.
- Experience with legal/commercial matters including working with complex legal agreements/contracts would be considered an asset.
- Project management experience and ability to interface with all levels of the organization.
- Commercial negotiation experience.
- Ability to work with multiple internal and external stakeholders, on multi-disciplinary issues and opportunities.
- Primarily Office with hybrid work from home arrangements.
This position is based in Edmonton.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805369.