Originator, Commodities Canada West
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is driven to power a sustainable future for people and planet. This purpose guides our ambitions, focus, and actions as we transform our energy system to power a net zero future. We’re a growth-oriented North American energy transition company headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. We deliver innovative electricity solutions with a vision to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
Our people are at the core of our journey to get to net zero by 2045 and are transforming the future of power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe and inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
We are currently seeking an innovative, highly motivated, results oriented individual with strong commercial acumen to join our Commodities West, Trading team!
Reporting to the Director, Trading, Commodities Canada West, as the Originator, Commodities Canada West, you are accountable to help drive Trading Alberta commercial activities, enhance commodity market liquidity (electricity, natural gas, and environmental products) and, deliver shareholder value by maintaining and expanding Capital Power’s customer market presence by delivering commodity solutions to Alberta-based customers.
You will contribute to our team by
- Achieving commercial targets by Originating, negotiating, structuring, and executing value-add, commodity transactions (electricity, natural gas, environmental) with targeted energy consumers / producers (collectively, Customers).
- Collaborating cross-functionally within Capital Power to support new-product structuring, pricing, and execution, aligned to customer’s needs and Capital Power’s goals.
- Developing relationships with customers by identifying opportunities to Originate commercial transactions to support Capital Power’s continued renewable generation facility development growth.
- Supporting the development and knowledge (externally and internally) of Capital Power’s growing customer commodity supply and management business.
- Developing compiling and disseminating market information, including product offerings, price trends, market strategies and approach, legislative and regulatory changes and customer business trends to improve Capital Power’s collective market knowledge.
- Leveraging experience and market best practices to collaborate cross-functionally within Capital Power (including Trade, Finance, Credit, Risk, Legal, IS) to identify, recommend and support implementation of process and systems efficiency improvements providing improved customer service delivery.
What you will bring to the role
- Completed Undergraduate degree specializing in Business, Marketing, Finance, Economics, Engineering, or related field.
- Educational equivalency may be considered.
- 5 to 10 years’ experience in commodity markets, with a preference to electricity.
- Experience within functional segments including marketing, trading, analytics, risk, customer service and knowledge and insight associated with industrial business operations.
- Commercially focused business acumen, with strong analytical skills and the ability to simply communicate complex issues / challenges and associated solutions, both internally and externally.
- Knowledge of physical and financial energy commodity products in Alberta and proficiency working with complex contracts, including review, negotiation, approvals and execution.
- Ability to collaborate and support complex opportunities with multiple stakeholders over 3-month to 3-year durations.
- Knowledge and understanding of the roles, responsibilities, and processes (front, middle, back-office) related to delivering energy-related solutions to customers and stakeholders.
- Advanced application skills related to MS Office Suite (Dynamics CRM, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, PowerBI).
- An understanding of matters potentially impacting Capital Power’s customers / stakeholders, including energy market dynamics in Alberta and interconnected markets, regulatory environment and, utility tariffs and the ability to proactively communicate implications and opportunities.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and work under pressure situations.
Social Process Skills:
- Ability to independently develop and maintain strong relationships with existing and prospective customers at an influencer and decision maker level, market stakeholders and peers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to simply communicate complex issues / challenges and associated solutions, both internally and externally.
- Strong negotiation skills with the proven capability to make sound commercial decisions of an independent nature.
- Ability to successfully work both independently and collaboratively with multiple internal and external stakeholders / Customers on multi-disciplinary opportunities and issues.
- Ability to coordinate multiple competing priorities and tasks.
- Ability to effectively represent the company with external parties at a working and senior level.
- Collaborator with ability to deal with ambiguity and conflict while exercising influence.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position.
- May require intra-Alberta or occasional Canadian / US travel.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805806.