A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is driven to power a sustainable future for people and planet. This purpose guides our ambitions, focus, and actions as we transform our energy system to power a net zero future. We’re a growth-oriented North American energy transition company headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. We deliver innovative electricity solutions with a vision to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
Our people are at the core of our journey to get to net zero by 2045 and are transforming the future of power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe and inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
Two Permanent Full Time Positions.
Are you interested in working for a fast-growing organization which is focused on sustainable growth, committed to a low carbon future, and believes in innovation?
We are currently seeking a highly motivated, commercially minded, curious individual to join our dynamic Commodity Portfolio Management team!
Each day brings a new set of opportunities and challenges for our team as we manage a diverse fleet of wind and thermal assets spread across a large geographic footprint of different market structures, commercial frameworks, and commodity exposures. The role requires one to quickly understand, and analyze new trading products, markets, or regions. Also, to remain informed of shifting fundamentals and dynamics for multiple ISOs, RTOs, pipelines, and natural gas markets.
As an Energy Trader, you will need to be a self-starter, exploring unfamiliar markets to identify and execute on profitable strategies. Ideal candidates will thrive in uncertain environments and have an unquenchable thirst for information.
You will contribute to our team by
- Supporting commodity risk management opportunities for CPX’s Ontario & US power generation fleet.
- Formulating both short and long-term portfolio optimization and risk reducing strategies.
- Contributing to the development of incremental speculative opportunities in core markets and products.
- Scheduling physical power to support the asset fleet and trade strategies.
- Acting as a power market subject matter expert and evaluate commodity exposure for potential acquisitions and developments.
- Working collaboratively with all stakeholders across CPX and openly sharing knowledge.
What you will bring to the role
- Post-secondary education specializing in Math, Engineering, Statistics, Finance, or a related field.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience.
- Experience in a scheduling, trading or commercial role managing commodity exposures would be an asset.
Technical & Social Process Skills:
- Demonstrated team player.
- Exceptional analytical aptitude.
- Ability to make quick decisions in an uncertain and constantly evolving environment.
- Experience prioritizing and managing multiple tasks concurrently.
- Proven negotiation skills.
- You will find yourself in high-pressure, time-sensitive situations frequently.
- It is expected you will make good decisions with limited information.
- You will rarely work independently or at your own pace.
- You will need to be on-call after work hours and on weekends.
- The role will never be clearly defined and to an extent depends on you.
Anyone who enjoys the challenges listed above will thrive in this role!
Candidates may be required to complete a written assessment as part of the hiring process.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805736.