A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Temporary Full Time Up To 18 Months Position, with A Generous Retention Bonus.
Are you interested in working for a fast-growing organization which is focused on sustainable growth, committed to a low carbon future and believes in innovation?
This great opportunity is knocking on your door to be a part of a big transformation – getting off coal!
JOIN US and be a part of this transition of our plant legacy asset Genesee into the “power plant of the future”! Work with best-in-class assets and technology and take your skills and experience to new levels.
Capital Power is seeking hard working Power Engineer for our Genesee Generating Station, who have a safe work record and a proven ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
As a Power Engineer you will be reporting to the Chief Power Engineer, and will be responsible for the safety, environmental, and production performance of assigned plant equipment. This includes ensuring the equipment is operated according to all regulations, and environmental permits.
You will contribute to our team by
- Ensuring deliverables assigned are completed in an appropriate time.
- Maintaining a safe working environment, equipment availability, work planned and executed on time, high quality of work performed, and high productivity.
- Ensuring adherence to Capital Power policy and procedures, and harmonious labour relations.
- Operating pressure equipment in a proficient and safe manner, in the capacity allowed by Power Engineering Certificate of Competency.
- Performing area rounds: identifying equipment deficiencies and abnormal operating conditions. Identifying hazards and implement adequate controls.
- Providing feedback to the Operations business plans and directions.
- Ensuring an appropriate understanding of the Capital Power and Genesee strategy.
- Maintaining and nurturing a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented work ethic.
- Immediately identifying any incidents or hazards to supervisor.
- Performing and reviewing of safety, environmental, and operation PM procedures.
- Maintaining an accurate record of plant operation, maintenance, and any matter that may affect plant safety is recorded in the area log book.
- Posting in a conspicuous place on the premises their certificates of competency required under the Act and Regulations.
- Maintaining strong collaborative relationships with crew members and workers across Genesee departments where interaction with operations is required.
- Acts as a mentor and role model for junior union employees.
- Responsible for developing, training, mentoring, and counselling employees under direct supervision.
What you will bring to the role
- 2nd Class Power Engineer Certificate recognized by Alberta Boilers Safety Association.
- 1-2 years of Operations Experience.
- Working knowledge of OH&S codes and Regulations.
- Working knowledge of Alberta Pressure Equipment Safety Codes and Regulations.
- Practical application of PC skills, Excel, Word, and power plant knowledge.
- Heavy industrial facility designated as a safety sensitive location.
- Physical mobility and ability to use PPE required. Multi-union/out-of-scope work force.
- Minimal travel required.
- Rotating Shift Work.
As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of a pre-employment drug & alcohol test is required.
Clearance of a pre-employment medical will also be required.
Note to Applicants: The Genesee Generating Station is 80 kilometers southwest of Edmonton – you must provide your own transportation. A site premium is provided.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805338.