Real Time Trader
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
From Alberta to Alabama, we’re innovating power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We believe in empowering our people and supporting them with holistic benefits and programs so they can thrive in all aspects of life. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe, inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Do you want to work for a fast-growing organization which is focused on sustainable growth, committed to a low carbon future, and believes in innovation?
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and motivated individual to join our dynamic Trading team!
Reporting to the Manager, Short-Term, as the Real Time Trader, you are accountable for the performance and execution of the short-term portfolio strategy and proprietary trading (current hour to same day) in context of the Capital Power generation portfolio including asset dispatch, physical and financial trading, and other asset and non-asset based operational support.
The role is on the 24/7 RT Trading desk and is a shift work role that comprises of both 12-hour days and nights.
You will contribute to our team by
- Implementing strategic decisions regarding the dispatch of approximately 1,500MW of power assets and trading strategies that result in the maximum value to Capital Power.
- Monitoring, reporting, and reacting in real time to changing market conditions and document and disseminate information as the need arises.
- Generating incremental speculative trading revenues and reduce commodity price risk via trading outright positions and asset dispatch.
- Providing input to the Commodity Portfolio Management plans and directions, ensures and appropriate understanding of the Capital Power and Commodity Portfolio Management (CPM) strategy throughout the commodity portfolio and ensures ongoing effective positioning and appropriate relationships between the Trading group and other positions in Commodity
- Portfolio Management and in the rest of Capital Power.
- Ensuring compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and ensures mitigation of commodity price risks within real time.
- Providing expert quantitative and fundamental analysis of Alberta and adjacent power markets, location basis, transmission infrastructure, spreads, weather, and all other factors that influence Alberta and adjacent market power prices.
- Executing strategic and tactical asset pricing and import/export and financial trading decisions.
- Formulating short term strategy and provides insight across the organization into the Alberta and adjacent power markets.
- Making asset pricing decisions for the Company as well as on behalf of Company’s partners.
- Carrying out short term power exposure management across the portfolio and acts strategically to handle this exposure.
- Acting on analysis to conduct trades or asset pricing decisions.
- Negotiating trades in Alberta and adjacent power markets and maintaining and improving customer relationships.
- Acting proactively to preserve and improve the value of Capital Power’s power exposure while reducing risk.
- Actively monitoring all power exposures and trading activity and communication thereof.
- Abiding by and actively monitoring and providing input into all applicable risk, credit limits, policies, and procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with external regulatory and other agencies and works proactively to minimize compliance mishaps.
- Maintaining and initiating new customers/counterparties and products to contribute to the management of the real time and medium-term positions.
- Maintaining customer relationships across Alberta and in adjacent power markets.
- Completing reports, and providing market intelligence, etc. for external Company’s partners.
What you will bring to the role
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Marketing or Mathematics is preferred.
- Graduate degree or industry-related supplementary designation (ERP, CFA, PRM, FRM, MBA, other) would be considered an asset, but not required.
- Education equivalency may be considered.
- Some experience on a real time desk or with power will be an asset.
- Understanding of relevant physical market characteristics for both decision making and information translation and transfer purposes will be an asset, but not required.
- Ability to make decisions with incomplete information and work under tight time constraints in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to translate knowledge into decisions and strategy to be implemented and articulation of such activity.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office products is required, and VBA/Coding skills would be considered an asset.
- You must possess a willingness to become fully knowledgeable in operations (scheduling, dispatching, physical gas trading, and settlement) in the Western power and gas markets.
- A business-oriented person who is analytically inclined, comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary team environment, and able to make decisions based on current market information.
- The role is on the 24/7 RT Trading desk. It is a shift work role that comprises of both 12-hour days and nights, working 4 days on with 6-7 days off.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805673.