Manager, Financial Services
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations.
From Alberta to Alabama, we’re innovating power generation as a collaborative team of experts and innovators. We believe in empowering our people and supporting them with holistic benefits and programs so they can thrive in all aspects of life. We provide purpose-driven work in a safe, inclusive environment, and we live by our values. With us, your contributions matter. We’re here to partner with you so you can learn, innovate, and forge a career that’s meaningful to you. Join us in powering a clean energy future!
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Capital Power is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Financial Services team!
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Financial Services, as the Manager, Financial Services, you will play a key role in supporting the business by overseeing project accounting, accounts receivable and lease accounting functions and by providing financial support to the shared services departments of Capital Power. You will also provide support to the other areas of the Financial Services team for accounts payable, payroll and fixed assets.
You will contribute to our team by
- Leading and supporting a team of financial analysts who contribute to the accounts receivable, projects, fixed assets, payroll and shared services functions, including balancing workloads, goal setting, leading team meetings and striving for a positive team environment.
- Managing the project accounting function including advising on capitalization policy, analyzing project capital spend, preparing monthly capital expenditure reporting, overseeing month-end close procedures for the projects system, reviewing project related journal entries and account reconciliations, and providing overall project support to the business.
- Coordinating the capital expenditure budget, forecast and long-term plan through collaboration with other Capital Power departments, and supporting the fixed asset planning processes.
- Overseeing and managing the accounts receivable function, striving for continuous improvement through automation and efficiencies, and ensuring financial and billing systems are operating effectively.
- Coordinating lease accounting processes, including lease contract analysis, updating lease models, providing guidance on IFRS to US GAAP lease accounting, preparing and reviewing lease journal entries, and reviewing lease account reconciliations.
- Managing the recording and settlement of corporate management fees and cost allocations between Capital Power legal entities.
- Providing overall financial support to the various shared services departments such as information services, people services, legal, engineering, construction, and others.
- Supporting other areas of the Financial Services team, including the property tax, fixed assets, accounts payable and payroll functions.
- Collaborating with the information services team to support a robust and reliable enterprise system, including Oracle and Power BI, with the aim to improve and automate processes.
- Maintaining strong collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including other internal Capital Power departments, external auditors, and consultants.
- Adhering and participating in health, safety and environment standards, ethics training, and purchasing policy procedures, as set out by Capital Power.
What you will bring to the role
- Post Secondary Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Completion of a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- You have several years of progressive related work experience, and experience with Oracle and Power BI is considered an asset.
- You demonstrate an ability to automate and improve processes, with an interest in technical solutions.
- You illustrate an attention to detail, have excellent planning and organization skills, have advanced Excel skills, and can perform in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Your accomplishments must demonstrate you are an effective communicator with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You are committed to continuous professional development.
- You must be team oriented, show initiative and have a customer-oriented focus.
- Hybrid office/work from home position, with very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
To be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordable employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements, relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting email@example.com.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805641.