Senior Manager, Insurance Risk Management
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Do you enjoy a fast-paced environment, where learning and career growth are encouraged and supported? Does an opportunity to champion and impact the insurance program of a growth-oriented company whose purpose is to power a sustainable future for people and planet interest you?
We are seeking a motivated and innovative professional to join our Insurance Risk Management team!
Reporting to the VP, Risk Management and Controller, the Senior Manager, Insurance Risk Management is accountable to ensure that appropriate insurance risk transfer programs are in place to provide adequate coverage for identified and insurable risks. You will act as prime contact for all internal and external stakeholders affected or involved in the insurance programs. You will also be responsible for the management of all insurance claims incurred by the Company and loss control inspections required by insurers. The position will strive to continuously improve these programs to protect our assets, team members, reputation, and shareholder value.
You will contribute to our team by
- Managing corporate insurance programs and the placement of appropriate risk-based coverage lines (property, liability, Directors & Officers, Crime, workers compensation, Fiduciary and Auto), including facilitating and assisting Broker in the annual marketing and renewal of all components of the programs.
- Managing and the placement of Owner Controlled Insurance Programs (OCIPs) for all construction projects.
- Maintaining strong relations with insurance industry and brokers.
- Providing recommendations and approvals (where applicable) on hiring and retention of insurance broker services and managing Broker performance and cost of service.
- Managing the insurance claims process, including oversight of third-party adjusters and/or third-party claim administrators, as applicable and ensuring prompt and equitable settlement.
- Facilitating and participating in the loss control inspection process required by insurers.
- Providing recommendations and contact information to assist operations in resolving insurer recommendations from loss control inspections.
- Providing Insurance Risk subject matter expertise and advice to business development, commercial services, operations, and construction.
- Reviewing all contracts related to Business Development and Commercial transactions for adequacy of insurer provisions.
- Providing recommendations of any required program changes due to changing risk profile and emerging risks, including risks related to Sustainability and ESG matters.
- Ensuring timely and proper execution of all insurance policies.
- Ensuring adequate insurance coverage through quantitative analysis and risk assessment is in force for all identified risk.
- Maintaining strong collaborative relationships with Senior Management across the organization.
- Ensuring the annual budget and quarterly forecasts for insurance premiums and the department’s costs are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Reporting annually to the audit committee on the insurance program.
- Providing mentorship and training to any assigned staff.
What you will bring to the role
- University degree required, preferably B. Com, or related field.
- Canadian Risk Management Designation.
- Chartered Insurance Professional and Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional designations.
- 10 to 15 years of related experience.
- Adept at reviewing and analyzing contract terms and language.
- Strong ability to communicate and work effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Well versed in the power industry / business and the associated risks.
- Knowledge of alternative risk financing solutions, including the study and potential implementation of a captive is considered an asset.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with occasional extended hours.
- Extensive travel required for operation site visits, marketing of program to insurers, and attendance of conferences for learning and networking.
This position is open to candidates in both Edmonton and Calgary.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We believe that creating a culture that supports employee physical, mental, financial, and social wellbeing is critical to our success. That is why we provide flexible and affordability employee benefits, retirement savings, and paid time off programs. We also provide comprehensive onboarding, training, and programs supporting your career development.
Depending on the posting requirements relocation assistance may be available.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805361.